Saturday 29 November 2014

DAY 333 / GAME 333 DuckTales: Remastered

DAY 333 / GAME 333


DuckTales: Remastered

      Never having owned an 8-bit Nintendo Entertainment System, I never have played the popular title based on the Disney cartoon DuckTales.  Though, I was always hearing about it, even up until recently before they decided to remaster it for the current generation of consoles.  I've always figured it must have been one heck of a game for it to be so well known outside of the realm of the usual classics like Megaman and Castlevania.  Still, until the remaster, I had put it aside as a classic I would have never played.


     As it were however, Disney and Capcom decided the 8-bit DuckTales game deserved a remaster.  And at a time where so many older 8 and 16-bit titles have seen ports and releases on emulators running on consoles like the Nintendo Wii, to see a company completely rebuild an older game is much more rare.  When I say they rebuilt this game, I mean they started ground-up and produced a game that is outstanding even for today's standards.  Commonly regarded as one of the best game remasters since Capcom's Resident Evil on the GameCube.


    I didn't wait long to buy this.  It was on sale half-price (from only $15) last holiday season and I was eager to purchase new games for my new Wii-U system.  It's always a joy purchasing a game that once cost upwards of sixty dollars for about seven-fifty.  The game plays incredible and the animation brings back memories of classic Disney titles that were cel-animated and scanned.  All this and they managed to get as many of the original (surviving) voice cast on board to record the dialog that was once text only.  Bringing a new refreshing element to a very old title.


    I'm pretty sure anyone that knew and loved this game has already played and enjoyed this remaster.  I can honestly say though, for those who have never tried it in the past and enjoy a great classic 2D side-scrolling platformer, this is well worth whatever price you find it at.  Which is usually good because it's often on sale.

No comments:

Post a Comment