Monday 10 November 2014

DAY 314 / GAME 314 The Legend of Zelda: the Windwaker HD

DAY 314 / GAME 314


The Legend of Zelda: the Windwaker HD

      As I've mentioned before, I never did play any of the Legend of Zelda games growing up.  Partly because I didn't own an 8-bit Nintendo growing up and partly because for one reason or another, it just didn't appeal to me.  That all changed after I bought a Nintendo 3DS handheld along with the remastered version of Ocarina of Time.  'Where had this series been all my life?' and 'How could I have overlooked a series this great?' were the questions in my mind.
      So after completing and thoroughly enjoying Ocarina of Time 3D, I started asking around.  'What other Zelda games should I try?'  I knew there were a lot of them, where to begin?  My query was divided amongst those I asked almost down the middle.  Half felt that Ocarina of Time was the best Zelda title and the others felt strongly about the Windwaker.  Among those two other suggestions included A Link to the Past and Majora's Mask.  Before eventually purchasing the Wii-U bundled with the new HD remake of Windwaker, I had tried out The Phantom Hourglass on the Nintendo DS as well as A Link to the Past  on the Wii's Virtual Console.

        Windwaker really was the best suggestion.


        I had never tried the original release of the Windwaker when it was first published on the Nintendo Gamecube.  In fact, I'd never really caught proper wind of it.  If I did, I would have probably picked it up back then and it would have been my first Zelda game.  In this case, Nintendo decided to take a stylish approach and paint everything with beautiful rich colours, very defined and limited colour palettes and the addition of cel-shading for a 2D animated look.  Now, I never did see the original GameCube version, but I'd imagine with a smart design like this it would have looked far better than what you'd be used to seeing on that unit.  (Not that it wasn't a powerful console.)


     Like when my first experience with my 3DS console was with the Ocarina of Time rebuild, my first experience with the Wii-U console was with the Windwaker rebuild.  Even though the original was released ten years prior in 2003, this new Windwaker looks as if it had been fashioned this year.  It's one of the most gorgeous looking games I've ever played and I simply cannot stress that more.  All this and throw in the fact that it's got all the makings of a perfect Zelda game; with it's typical tropes, dungeon style level layouts and smart puzzles that leave you lighting up when you finally figure them out.  The only thing I can say bad about Windwaker is that I simply haven't finished it.



     As it turns out, I'm just no good at Zelda games.  Having never played them from the beginning, I just don't have the built-in knowledge of how they work and they simply don't play naturally for me.  Ocarina of Time is the only one I've beat to date.  But I will make it a very strong point to return to Windwaker, even if it means bringing a strategy guide with me and play it to the end.  The game deserves it and so do I.

No comments:

Post a Comment