Wednesday 12 November 2014

DAY 316 / GAME 316 Borderlands

DAY 316 / GAME 316


Borderlands

      Borderlands, once referred to by Penny Arcade's Mike Krahulic as the 'arrow game', a title that rings true with me for certain.  You see, Borderlands is a lot like Diablo in the sense that you are consistently coming across new weapons which are basically the same weapons with slightly different specs (and colour skins).  When you pick them up they show a comparison view between your current weapon and this new one, with arrows pointing up or down depending on whether or not that particular stat is better or worse.  Instead of simply going through the game and enjoying it, I end up spending needless hours debating which weapon I should use, leave behind or sell.  Not to mention how badly this plays on my need to hoard items in video games.  So badly at times that I'm one of those people who will fire off a shot in order to now be able to pick up ammo that I would otherwise have to pass over because my cache is full.


   That being said, I do actually love this game.  I simply haven't finished it because it did end up dragging on for a bit and I left it to play one of the many other games I had waiting to be played.  Borderlands is a fantastically unique first-person RPG that is a lot deeper than I had time to enjoy.  The game itself is quite expansive and plays out much like an MMO with a lot of missions and leveling as well as different classes available to start from.  And so, since you can play as a Hunter, Siren, Sniper and Berserker, each playthrough can very quite a bit.  Maybe one day when you know, time stops or something, I'll go back and try out each of them.  


    Borderlands also wins due to it's beautiful graphics.  In a time when cel-shading has been overused, Gearbox managed to take advantage of this style and create a visually unique FPS game with characters and designs that will stand the test of time.  Not to mention a nice wide range of characters, a huge list of weapons which is thanks to swapping out colours and mixing-and-matching small components to make no two of the hundreds of guns look the same.  Not to mention, wielding an electric green revolver or a sleek red shotgun puts that extra oomph into the overall visuals of the game.


    Take all this and add in optional drop-in multiplayer and this becomes one of the most fantastic games I've never fully taken advantage of.  Just another loss in the great war for me between which games I will play and which games get lost at the wayside.  I have hopes that I will put more time into Borderlands 2 though.  I've been told the level design is a little bit less repetitive and I recently picked it up on sale for about $5.  Plus, the new character classes look a lot more interesting.  I mean, they've added a Mecromancer.

No comments:

Post a Comment