Monday 3 November 2014

DAY 307 / GAME 307 Gears of War 2

DAY 307 / GAME 307


Gears of War 2

      With Gears of War for the Xbox 360 being one of the most exciting new games I'd played in a very long time, you can imagine how thrilled I was to learn of a sequel's upcoming release.  Gears was simply one of the most beautifully gritty and dark new sci-fi properties I had seen in a long time.  Epic Games had crafted such an incredible new world, one full of history, character and a whole lot of crafty alien beasts.  I had soaked it up as if I had discovered candy for the first time; Gears of War will always have a special place with me.  

        Gears of War 1 set forth the world, established the characters, a background and told it's own smaller story.  With it's success, the rest of the trilogy could come forward to tell the larger story.  Gear of War 2 opened up everything; expanding the world, the enemies motivations, the main protagonists' backstories, bringing it all to a big climax that could only be completed with a third title.  Closing the trilogy and it's overarcing story.  

     When I speak of Gears of War 2 and everything I loved about it, I just end up repeating myself.  What makes Gears 2 so great are all the same things I loved about the first game.  The incredible and unique designs, from it's chainsaw rifles to it's gigantic burrowing spider beasts, it's incredible world - long destroyed, and it's high-tech warfront gear from both sides.  The Locust and the COG army.  The Locust with their rideable flying squids, mechanically enhanced titans and brutish weapons.  The COGs with their giant mobile platforms, King Raven helicopters and Hammer of Dawn orbital based laser.  All of it exceptionally memorable.


    Gears of War 2 may not have stuck with me as strongly as the first game in the series, but that is an almost impossible task.  It pushed the world forward alongside it's expanding narrative and was a beautiful experience the entire time.  Gears of War 2's biggest downfall was simply that it ended on a note that left me wanting the third game so much more than wanting to just replay this one.  Gears 1, 2 and 3 are not overly lengthy and now that I've played them all through it's about time I sit and do one big playthrough.

  

No comments:

Post a Comment