Tuesday 25 November 2014

DAY 329 / GAME 329 Mortal Kombat

DAY 329 / GAME 329


Mortal Kombat


      As I've said before, I'm not that big on fighters.  With the exception of Soul Calibur and Dead or Alive 2, I've just never been that good at them.  I've tried quite a few over time and some like BlazBlue and King of Fighters feature such incredible 2D animation that I only wish I was better at them so I could enjoy them more.  In the past, I never did play the very popular Street Fighter, though I had played a bit of Clayfighter and Killer Instinct; my fighter of choice on the 16-bit consoles was Mortal Kombat.


       I played so far as Mortal Kombat 3, which my brother purchased for his Super Nintendo and consistently destroyed me at.  Our first copy however, was the Sega CD version of Mortal Kombat 1, which of course, featured the CD audio soundtrack; a big deal at the time.  As with most fighting games, I was never particularly great at this one.  I have no skill for memorizing button combos and getting beat over and over again by computer or human opponents can only draw you so thin.  But at least with MK, you can 'button mash' your way to victory every once in a while and bask in the glory of having won with no skill.


        Mortal Kombat always caught my eye everytime I saw an arcade cabinet that featured it.  At the time, the graphics looked extremely realistic.  Of course, in a sense they were.  Unlike the vast majority of the 16-bit games at the time, Mortal Kombat filmed actors and used the footage to create the frames of animation within the game.  Though the result may not be as timeless as the more stylized sprites of say, Street Fighter, at the time I couldn't believe anyone would want to play any fighter but Mortal Kombat.

          Mortal Kombat also arrived on the scene at a time when games like this didn't get much more violent.  Internally, I always felt bad for wanting to play this at the arcade and yet something about it just seemed so awesome.  I guess that's just media violence in a nutshell, guilty pleasure.  

No comments:

Post a Comment