Sunday 23 November 2014

DAY 327 / GAME 327 Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2

DAY 327 / GAME 327


Star Wars: The Force Unleashed 2

      I absolutely adored the first Force Unleashed Star Wars title on the PS3, it was a wonder why I waited so long to purchase the second one.  I guess, as is usually the case lately it was more or less an issue of not wanting to purchased yet another game while my unplayed-game-pile was still growing.  Soon enough it's price had dropped to a regular $20.  Twenty dollars is pretty much the sweet spot for me.  If it's a physical disc, there's a good chance it's not getting any cheaper during it's print run and so if I was ever planing on getting it, that would be the time.  I look at my shelf at times and realize I do own a lot of games.  Over 100 Xbox 360 titles alone.  But then I remember than the vast majority of those I purchased when they did that $20 mark, even if sometimes I felt like I should have bought them sooner.


      Normally you'd hear me say that this was the case with the current game I'm talking about.  Especially considering how much I loved Force Unleashed 2.  Unfortunately, as much as it was very successful in my mind, I also found it to be very short.  And while I'm usually happy to play a shorter title, so that I can enjoy the full story and move onto another one of my many games in queue, this game was what I would even consider 'too short'.   Short enough that I was glad for once that I didn't pay a full $60.


      Now, with that said, I still consider this to be an incredible game.  At moments better than the first, and easily one of the most fantastic Star Wars games ever released since Jedi Knight and Shadows of the Empire.  It simply captures everything that I loved about Star Wars in gaming since I was young.  Moody levels and designs that bring out memories of first watching the films without simply duplicating them.  A well-acted and well written story with characters that are new to the universe but feel like they belong.  And of course, exciting, well designed gameplay.
      And of course rain.  There's something about a game with a rainy level, from Streets of Rage to Resident Evil to Bladerunner to Silent Hill: Downpour; rain brings life to a setting and games just keep going it better and better.  It's something personal, something that just hits me in the right spot when I'm playing a game and they bring out that one fantastic rainy level.  And Force Unleashed does it right from the first level.  It's perfect.


    Short or not I really did enjoy the Force Unleashed 2.  I'm actually surprised I didn't pre-order it.  I came very close, if only the special edition included some slightly better incentives.  Main reason being, the amazing quality teaser trailers they made for this game were above top-notch.  Just absolutely incredible.

Teaser 1
Teaser 2

No comments:

Post a Comment