Saturday 8 November 2014

DAY 312 / GAME 312 Uncharted

DAY 312 / GAME 312


Uncharted


      I had a bad taste in my mouth from the Uncharted demo on the PlayStation 3.  For all it's hype it felt bland and repetitive, though the introductory cinematic was nice.  So I put it aside and didn't really have any particular plans for playing it, until the sequel was released.  There was so much media released regarding the development of Uncharted 2 and some incredibly impossible looking gameplay I'd caught during an E3 live-stream or the like.  It had really caught my eye and I became very interested in giving it a go.  I was going to play the first part before venturing into it, but I was told that I wouldn't be at a loss and it wasn't worth my time.  After I did get around to playing through Uncharted 2 however, I realised how wrong that was.  The rich characters from Uncharted had history that I knew immediately I should have discovered before playing the sequel.  I knew now, that I had to go back at one point or another and play the original.

    I had a number of opportunities to purchase Uncharted, at the point in which I had finally picked up Uncharted 2, the original had dropped in price dramatically.  And yet, it was not on the top of my list so it got overlooked often enough.  Recently, during the summer I think, I spotted it brand new and sealed for only $5 at an outdoor flea market.  There was simply no question; money was exchanged for goods and I was on my way.  It took a little while before I actually played it, it took packing up most of my consoles and equipment before our house move that I decided to start it up.  When I finally did, one thing was for sure, I should have never waited a day past it's first launch to purchase it.



     Yeah, Uncharted 1 feels dated after playing the sequel.  Naughty Dog really stepped the game up a notch in all respects after the success of the first one.  Controls weren't quite as refined and the graphics in general weren't as mind-blowingly great as part 2.  And yet, I had just as an enjoyable experience because where it excelled is exactly where all Naughty Dog games excel.  Story and characters.  Once I had finished Uncharted 1, which was not long since I couldn't put it down, it felt like I had completed a great novel, finished a perfect tv miniseries or a fantastic trilogy of moves.  I really connected with Drake, Victor and Elena and I immediately wanted more.  Naughty Dog really has me in the old Lucasarts zone now, where I will pretty much buy into them without a second though because I know I will enjoy it.



    Incredibly enough I still haven't played Uncharted 3, even with all I've just wrote.  Now, I did just finish this up about a month ago and I had shortly after ordered Uncharted 3 so that i could properly continue the story.  I can honestly say that it is one of the very next games I will be playing, as soon as I get Alien: Isolation out of the way.


   As an edit, I remembered too late and don't know quite how to work it in, but I mentioned that the Uncharted demo was awful.  The funny thing was that I hit a point in the game while playing it that was frustrating and boring.  I didn't realize why it was so familiar at first, but as it happens, that was the exactly portion they used for the demo.  I have no clue why they picked the only poor section of the game to promote it..

No comments:

Post a Comment