Saturday 15 November 2014

DAY 319 / GAME 319 Batman, Sega Genesis

DAY 319 / GAME 319


Batman, Sega Genesis

(Batman, Batman Returns, Batman and Robin)

      I'm going to do another multi-title post here.  There's a few reasons for me lumping these titles together.  Partly that I hadn't played enough of each of them to justify a whole post for each, but also because within each of them there's enough nostalgia that they're worth bringing up.  Batman and Batman Returns specifically only saw a small amount of my time since they were both a.) very difficult and b.) my Uncle's games that I only played at this place on a brief occasion.  Regardless, both titles always stuck with me as being extremely great representations of the Burton films.  Everything was perfectly dark and gritty, plus Batman does do well as a side-scrolling brawler.  If only they didn't decide to toss in oddball treadmill platforming elements and other oddball bits just to make things difficult.  Regardless, your use of the great Batman gadgets; baterangs, grappling hooks and being able to glide down at your enemies using your cape made these two games exactly what I would expect in a Batman movie game adaptation.

    Batman and Robin was released much later, near the end of the Sega Genesis' lifetime actually.  Though it's different enough that perhaps I shouldn't lump it together with the other two, it's still essentially the same game.  Though graphically far advanced, using rendering techniques that were developed at the last minute when the new 32-bit systems were starting to come out, it was still at heart the same Batman brawler of the early 90's.  This time around though, I did purchase this title.  I found it cheap at K-Mart in a bin out of luck and enjoyed the crap out of it.  Even if it was also quite difficult.  Thankfully not as difficult as the other titles though.


   Unlike Batman and Batman Returns however, Batman and Robin was not based on the films, but rather the popular animated series from the time.  The upside was the the entire game featured a wider range of enemies and some much more fantastic, colourful designs that go a long way to make it one of the better looking titles ever released on the 16-bit console.  The game used a fantastic new engine that allowed for curved scrolling and a unique, almost top-down perspective on the buildings as well as a number of other new effects that included being able to tilt and roll the entire level, like what was previously capable on the SNES.

   Batman is a property that really lends itself well to videogames.  These certainly aren't the only great ones in the past, but these were certainly the three that I played when I was a kid and the ones that always stuck with me forever.  In fact, I'm pretty sure I hadn't touched a Batman game until the glory that is Arkham Asylum was finally released.  I'd certainly like to dig up an old copy of Batman Returns though, I remember it looking fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment