Monday 24 November 2014

DAY 328 / GAME 328 The Evil Within

DAY 328 / GAME 328


The Evil Within


      Today is an exciting day.  Today is the day I get to write about The Evil Within because last night I finally completed the game.  On easy mind you, but I did complete it.  The Evil Within was, one of the few games that delivered well within my expectations.  From the footage I had seen beforehand and from the news I read, I had not formed an idea of a game in my mind that was too dissimilar from the end product; which is something that can have a habit of happening when so much media is pushed forward preceding the release of a big new game.



      What I was expecting, or hoping for, was a game with a whole new story and characters, modern game design, but the love of Shinji Mikami; the creator of the original Resident Evil series.  That is certainly what we all got with The Evil Within.  This game takes the best of Resident Evil 4 and brings it into the modern gaming world.  It does away with so many things people were complaining about in the modern Resident Evil games and brings the horror and survival elements back.  Even on casual difficulty, which I only chose ahead of time because I had heard this was a very tough game, you are very limited on your ammunition.  In classic Resident Evil style, if you don't burn the bodies of your enemies, they're a chance they will rise again to attack and there are a number of scenarios where some enemies will kill you in one blow.


     I heard that this game was horrifying and scary, and truth be told it has some real Silent Hill elements to it that drive that.  But I can honestly say that after coming off of Alien: Isolation, this game was nearly Mario 64.  Which was nice at the same time because I could appreciate the gloriously designed horror elements without also being white-knuckle terrified.  And, like Resident Evil, the game features some absolutely incredible designs that are practically unhindered by any lack of computing power on the PS4.  In fact, I'd go so far as to say that the designs in The Evil Within are more creative and possibly more unrestricted than anything seen in any of the Resident Evil games to date.  The designers absolutely play with all the most incredible elements of people's fears and put them on screen.


     Sometimes I loathe hopping online for a moment, only to discover a large swath of people venting their dislike for this game.  (Or any game.)  Fans have been asking to bring Resident Evil back to part 4 for the longest time and now the creator has and people complain that it's 'too hard' or who knows what else.  I've also heard that unsatisfactory sales means no sequel.  Considering how perfectly everything turned out in this title, I can only shake my head and realize this is 'why we can't have nice things'.
     But I'm not here to rant about that.  All I can say is that if you enjoyed Resident Evil, you'll love this game.  Everything about it is so perfect and polished, as a real AAA title should be.  I highly recommend it.  And if you don't ever want to play it, go ahead and take a look at these spoiler full images I've captured over my playthrough.  It simply looks fantastic.

No comments:

Post a Comment