Friday 7 November 2014

DAY 311 / GAME 311 Assassin's Creed 2

DAY 311 / GAME 311


Assassin's Creed 2

      Having just been to Ubisoft's Assassin's Creed Unity launch party, I'm starting to get a little nostalgic for the game series I somewhat abandoned long ago.  Ubisoft really pushed Assassin's Creed as one of their major properties, publishing a game a year within the series.  There was the major games, Assassin's Creed 1, 2, 3 and Black Flag, with smaller titles Brotherhood and Revelations.  Since the underlying plot was such an important part of the series and a good reason to keep up with them, I started to get lost with the smaller releases.  I was under the impression that they were focused mainly on multiplayer with no additional added story.  Then when I did find out that they fit within the overarcing plot, both games and Assassin's Creed 3 had been released.  I had a lot of catching up to do and I pretty much just dropped them all.  


     But before all that happened (I don't know why I went on that tangent.) I played the crap out of Assassin's Creed 2.  I did have a very similar moment, one where I just wasn't interested in playing the next game in the series.  I'm not sure why, I did love the first game and I really wanted to know what was going on with the present-day plot.  I guess AC just wasn't what I was in the mood for at the time.  A friend of mine at work started sending me videos, of how accurately they portrayed the Italian Renaissance; with an incredible amount of work going into the architecture of Florence, Venice, Tuscany and Forli.  I got all excited again.  I couldn't understand why I wasn't before?  I really did love AC1 and I was all pumped to trying out AC2.


    At first, I wasn't very happy with Assassin's Creed 2.  That happens now and again, especially if I've gone from playing a drastically different game previously.  In this case, I had just finished playing Brutal Legend for the first time.  Now, not only is that a game that is hard to top, but the voice acting and animation were brilliantly perfect.  So when I started up AC2, I was faced with some very stiff, very boring animation and characters; at least, in comparison.  All this and the game's story really starts off slowly.  Introducing the new characters and settings, not really tossing you into any action for a few hours.  
    Thankfully I never put it down, because when it got rolling the game got fantastic.  Though I preferred the cities of AC1's medieval crusades, there is no denying the beauty of Italy during the Renaissance.  Ubisoft even went so far as including details and historical facts regarding all the major structures you encountered.  This game could take a lot of your time if decided to read every little bit and piece.


    All this, and of course the game played brilliant.  Ubisoft refined the side-quests, making all the extra missions that were available to play much more interesting and not as repetitive as the previous game.  Controls were enhanced, fighting was more fluid and just about everything looked better.  Much more of the present-day plot was revealed and it certainly ended in a manner that made you want to play a third part.  I really should take the time to catch up on this series.  I know it's a favorite of a lot of my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment