Friday 14 November 2014

DAY 318 / GAME 318 Dirt 2

DAY 318 / GAME 318


Dirt 2

      One of my favorite racing series of all time peaked with this title.  Dirt 2 from Codemasters, is an extension of the Colin McRae rally series first released in 1998.  Codemasters, who in my opinion, does rally better than anyone else out there, released this ultimate rally racing title in 2009.  

   
   Dirt 1 was a strong success in my opinion.  One of the finest rally games I'd ever played with incredible, realistic controls and pace notes that you could actually rely on.  Not to mention classic WRC stages that were utterly beautiful.  Dirt 2 took all of this and simply made it better in each respect.  Tweaked controls, a larger number of cars with some additional race diciplines and some pretty new liveries.  It was exactly what I wanted to see in a sequel.  Nothing removed, only great stuff added.  (Unfortunately the opposite of Dirt 3.)

    Dirt 2 boasted some incredible rendering that made shooting across the sand, snow and mud look and feel like the real thing.  Your cars and other off-road vehicles were true-to-form and included some of my absolute favorites including a Pike's Peak Toyota Celica and a tribute to the past Colin McRae with a properly liveried 1998 Subaru 22b STI.  They even included a special tribute course in his honor.


    Unfortunately there isn't much more to be said.  Like Dirt 1 this is simply one of my most favorite racing games ever made.  I've never quite connected to a virtual racing world quite like this one and enjoyed the perfection that comes from a games learning  curve like in Dirt 2.  Dirt 3 was a little dissapointing for me as it strayed from what made Dirt 1 and 2 so great, in the future I can only hope they understand this and bring back it's legacy.

No comments:

Post a Comment