Sunday 16 November 2014

DAY 320 / GAME 320 La Pucelle: Tactics

DAY 320 / GAME 320


La Pucelle: Tactics

      Back when I owned a PlayStation 2, I came across art for a title called Disgaea.  I wanted this game so badly, for the art alone.  At the time, getting a hold of rare import titles or titles that had a small release was not nearly as easy as it is now.  Not only because there are more methods of distribution and more stores that sell physical games, but also because the interest in niche Japanese games wasn't as noticed by distributors as it is now.  After a while of turning up nothing in the way of Disgaea, a new game also developed by Japanese developer Nippon Ichi Software was released featuring similar designs.  Similar enough that I figured the two games were related and so I jumped on it without any research as to what the game was actually about.




    La Pucelle: Tactics turned out to be a Tactical RPG.  Of course.  And here I am, barely able to make my way through a Japanese RPG and especially horrible at tactical RPGs.  So I slogged my way through this game, trying to keep up with the tutorials, but really just hoping that I can get by on a hope and a prayer.  As I expected, the characters were super Japanese but funny and charming at points.  The art was great and the overall game was pretty fun when I could grasp it.  I dug through it as far as I could until I simply could not get any further.  I ran out of talent.  I eventually came to a fight where I could not tactically accomplish defeating the enemy.

    All said and done though, I quite enjoyed the game.  The characters were super fun, if I remember correctly you could capture, or acquire new characters to use in battle as you come across them.  Characters like Tiny Bats, Flame Balls and mysterious Boxes who's monstrous contents were unknown.  It was a enough of a taste of that game style that I knew both that I could not really attempt another Tactical RPG and it sadly put me off the idea of searching for Disgaea, regardless of how different a game it may have turned out to be.

    Which is interesting enough because sooner or later Nippon Ichi Software and Atlas decided to continue the Disgaea series into a number of titles that were much more widely available throughout North America.  I've considered jumping on a newer Disgaea title and down the road I still may, but for now my experience rests with this, La Pucelle.

No comments:

Post a Comment