Wednesday 31 December 2014

DAY 365 / GAME 365 Mass Effect 3

DAY 365 / GAME 365


Mass Effect 3

      Three-hundred-and-sixty-five games later and I still haven't covered all the great games I've played.  But I certainly covered the vast majority of them.  Some games I didn't feel I played enough of to warrant a post and some games were sequels so close to the originals that they didn't need to be written about.  Nevertheless, the 365th and final game of the year is the final piece to a trilogy of games who's characters are as close to me as some of the best novels I've read and the best movies I've enjoyed.  Mass Effect 3 was the ending to one of my all time favourite pieces of sci-fi fiction I've ever played.


        A trilogy of games that spanned a five year release date, Mass Effect, from Canadian developer BioWare, is a series that has touched a huge audience.  An inventive sci-fi third-person RPG shooter, it's gameplay allowed you to developed relationships with characters across space in an attempt to end what is revealed to be the cyclic demolition of the universe as we know it.  As this massive war, full of in-fighting amongst races, your crew helps band together all intelligent life from the great to the small in what culminates in a last stand against the Reapers.


      By the end of this journey, you've met and hopefully made a difference in a number of different characters.  All from different backgrounds, with different hopes and dreams, beliefs and pasts.  BioWare wrote these characters with depth; you aren't meant to like all of them, or hate all of them.  When you make you decisions they become less logical and more heartfelt as you progress through the game.  At least, if you played it anything like I did, which sounds like the consensus amongst gamers.


    Mass Effect 3 is like so many other great titles in that I could sit here and write about it for hours.  But at this point I'm sure you've either heard it from me or someone else, it's simply a fantastic series and an amazing game.  It's visually stunning, has an incredible score and with the right sound system, incredible audio cues.  The writing is top-notch and the gameplay is both engaging and solid.  Mass Effect is a series I do plan to play through from the start again soon, just to enjoy it all over again.

    

    That's it.  I've covered a full 365 different games from the day I started playing games to as recently as yesterday.  This are 365 games that I honestly enjoyed and many of them I still own or have re-purchased while writing this blog.  There are many more games I could discuss and there are many more I plan to play.  In fact, next year is the year where I play what I own, and don't buy anything new.  That will be over 30 games.  Quite a feat.
    Shortly after this post, I'll post a summary.  Kind of an addendum, covering what didn't make it in, and what I plan on doing for next year.  I'll also try to post a little infographic on which games were covered this year.  Until then, thanks for sticking with me for this project, it was one of the bigger things I've completed.





No comments:

Post a Comment