Monday 22 December 2014

DAY 356 / GAME 356 Lost Planet

DAY 356 / GAME 356


Lost Planet

      Somehow, during the course of almost an entire year I had forgot about one of my favourite games of our last generation of consoles.  When the Xbox 360 was first released, just like any other newly released consoles there was a initial gap before it's library got truly fleshed out.  During this period almost any new game that was announced seemed worth getting excited about.  Bioshock, Alone in the Dark, PGR4; I remember counting down dates and downloading demos left-and-right because keeping up with the existing library was not difficult.
          One game in particular that I had my eye out from the time it was announced was Lost Planet.  Capcom's obscure sci-fi action game that featured an absolutely beautiful frozen landscape and snow FX unlike anything before it.



   Lost Planet had a bizarre Capcom story, like a snowy Metal Gear Solid not a lot seemed very clear at first.  The protagonist wakes up with memory loss after being frozen for 30 years on a frozen planet Humans set out to colonize after making a mess of Earth.  The trouble is that the planet is practically inhabitable due to it's freezing temperatures and to make matters worse, crawling with bug-like aliens termed the Akrid.  Turns out the Akrid stay alive because they have thermal energy for blood, termed T-ENG.  After discovering this, we've all decided to blow them up and harvest the T-ENG and use it to survive the Hoth-like frozen world.

     So, the whole time you're running around in the game, you've got to watch a timer on top of the screen.  As it counts down you're running out of T-ENG and risk freezing to death, therefore you must attack and kill every Akrid you see in order to stay alive as you make your way through the game.  A game which has beautiful FX and is full of swirling snow, pieces of frozen, destructible landscape and incredible looking explosions that truly compliment the snow.  


    Lost Planet will always stick with me as a unique title that features one of my favorite environments in a videogame; snow.  When I first bought it I battled a bit with the controls which were, fortunately, very adjustable.  Which was great because I almost stopped playing because the defaults were sluggish and hideous.  I wasn't quite as happy with the second game in this series, but mainly because it focused primarily on multiplayer and lacked most of the snowy environments.  The third installment, which was released over a year ago gives me hope however, and I plan on giving that one a try, when I have time.

No comments:

Post a Comment