Monday 1 December 2014

DAY 335 / GAME 335 Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

DAY 335 / GAME 335


Rainbow Six: Vegas 2

      I recently decided it would be a good idea to try out the controversially bad game from Sega and Gearbox: Aliens Colonial Marines.  For years since it's announcement I was very excited for what would be the penultimate Colonial Marines game where you lay waste to hoards of bugs using the squad-based tactical action found in games like Bad Company and Rainbow Six.  I imagined being backed into a room with a couple other marines, a few smartguns on turrets, issuing your teamate to weld the door shut and another to hack an exit.  It could have been good.  Instead it was the biggest piece of garbage I've ever played since Blacksite Area 51.  Possibly worse.  


        So with that in mind, I'm thinking back to a squad-based shooter that did turn out good.  Rainbow Six: Vegas 2.  Of course, at this point they had the formula down pat; what with Ubisoft really nailing the series and turning it around with the first R6: Vegas.  Part 2 was just more of the same great thing.  A squad-shooter that looked fantastic and really pushed you to think hard about your actions, running and gunning get you nowhere in this game.  Vegas, like the very original Rainbow Six, still pushes for the same elements.  Observe your opponent, consider your team's possible actions, position yourself and your team for a strike and then advance tactically.  Also like the first game, you can customize your loadout from head to toe.  Though, it would be nice to have control over your team-member's loadout as well.


         I got so much out of playing the first Rainbow Six Vegas, even the demo I played over and over again.  It's just the one kind of shooter that I've yet to find duplicated anywhere else.  The weapons have a great feel to them, the level layouts are like strategic puzzles to be solved and the cover mechanic is one of my favorites.  Sitting in third-person for cover and then snapping to first person when going to fire is like clockwork.  Allowing you to aim peaking from cover, so when you go into first person you aren't lost down your sight like so many other games.


        Although I didn't feel R6:V2 offered much different than the first game, I still felt I got my money's worth.  And with that in mind, I'm very excited to see Ubisoft working on another sequel, Rainbow Six: Siege.  Built with the next generation of consoles in mind, it's going to be high on my list when it drops next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment