Thursday 11 December 2014

DAY 345 / GAME 345 Fable 3

DAY 345 / GAME 345


Fable 3


      Though it didn't quite strike my fancy as deeply as Fable 2 did, Fable 3 still pushed forward with all the design brilliance and solid core gameplay that had been established.  After how deeply Fable 2 dug it's claws into my gaming heart, I knew I was going to love it's sequel.  And yet, there was something about Fable 3 that didn't quite sit well with me.  I think perhaps it's story didn't sit as well with me, or perhaps the game itself pushed for too many choices in an attempt to produce different experiences for different players.  It just wasn't as straightforward and fun as Fable 2 and so I never did get around to finishing it.

     And yet, I still think of it fondly.  Fable 3, like 2 features grand design that is quite unique to these titles.  The architecture, costume, weapons, monsters and overall layouts and levels carry a simply magical feel to them is so much more alive than other similar attempts.  Reading the Wiki story summary I realize I'd probably become much more interested if only I stuck with it.  Since it's a pretty easy game to pick up and play, I feel as if I'd be doing myself some good by returning to this someday soon.  Someday before the graphics, as smartly designed as they are, become too outdated.


     Fable 3 is yet another title that should have never stopped where it did.  Completed or not, I'm still wishing for another chapter in the Fable series.  So far, Microsoft Studios has yet to push forward with any new Fable material stronger than a Windows Phone game and a Kinect (Xbox Add-on) game.  I, amongst others, speculate that Peter Molyneux's departure from Lionhead/Microsoft Studios is the reason for the lack of new Fable titles.  Since he was such a large part of it's creation, which is now Microsoft property.  Though similarly it's thought that Molyneux's over-ambition is what made Fable 3 a little lacking in comparison to Fable 2.

     So who knows.  Maybe a fresh new director and some old designers can come together on the new line of consoles and create the best new Fable yet.  Because as far as I'm concerned, the fantastic dialog, locations and visuals is what makes Fable one of my favorite fantasy set games to date.


No comments:

Post a Comment