Friday 19 December 2014

DAY 353 / GAME 353 Bomberman 64

DAY 353 / GAME 353


Bomberman 64

      Ok, 11 days more to go and I am totally phoning this one in.  It's 12:45am and I'm tired, I was out with workmates, most of whom are on vacation next week while I have a December 24th deadline.  No I'm not upset, this is pretty much the same every year.  But I'm tired and this post will be short.  Though, last time I said that I still ranted for longer than I expected.
        Anyhow, I've never been a Bomberman fan.  Having never spent much time with Nintendo classics as a kid I never really heard of this, and the weird looking dude who was supposed to look like a TV with legs or something?  I never got it.  But my friend Mike bought this for his Nintendo 64, and since we were always on the lookout for the next great 4-player game, this made it into our cycle.


        Now here I may sound like I didn't like Bomberman at all.  And the truth is, the only Bomberman game I played was this one, and at that only the multiplayer.  But the multiplayer on this game was addictive as all hell.  I mean, I remember having a blast (no pun intended) playing this game with the four of us, bombing the heck out of each other, running out the clock and forcing the Sudden Death mode and generally enjoying the very Japanese bizaareness of the whole thing.



      I can hardly remember how the game worked, but I remember having a lot of fun playing it.  I also remember watching Mike playing the single player campaign and seeing that it was completely different from the multiplayer.  Like the difference between Mario Cart racing and Mario Cart battle mode.  I almost think I may have enjoyed the single player game had I taken the time to explore it.  Nevertheless, the multiplayer is what we were down for.  And I'm pretty sure this game made the rounds a number of times after we had exhausted a particular N64 title.  It would always pop back up as the one game that was easy to jump into for a few round of hilarious fun.

    As it tends to be, single player games that I experienced on my own are some of my favorite.  But thinking back to simple multiplayer games like this that we all sat around the TV and played together brings back the best memories.  I think I will always miss the local multiplayer that has so quickly and quietly been abandoned over the years in lieu of internet gaming.  

No comments:

Post a Comment