Thursday 25 December 2014

DAY 359 / GAME 359 Diablo III

DAY 359 / GAME 359


Diablo III

      For Christmas I thought it would be nice to post about a holiday themed game, but the truth is there's only one I can think of that I've ever played and I posted about that already.  (James Pond 2, which takes place at the North Pole.)  So whatever, I'll just talk about Diablo 3 instead.


        Though Diablo 3 didn't stick with me quite the way Diablo 2 still does.  It did certainly earn it's title in a lot of ways as a proper successor in the series.  I remember keeping a close eye on Blizzard's outgoing info regarding D3 as it slowly inched it's way towards release.  Having been over a decade since Diablo 2 was released, I was more than excited to get back into that dark and delicious territory that created so much nostalgia 10 years ago.  The brilliant Matt Uelmen score and the rainy ruins of Tristram full of undead beasts, the Eastern Desert, Jungle and the Halls of Hell itself.  There was nothing quite like that game.


          As I awaited Diablo 3's release Blizzard teased us with details on the new classes and world we were going to encounter, along with tidbits on the overall graphical look of the game.  I was so excited about this new Diablo game I even preordered the collector's edition version.  This version came with a hardcover artbook (the main reason I bought it) as well as a special Diablo skull with a USB key that included Diablo 2 on it and a couple game keys to share with friends for a trial run.  
           Diablo 3 looked absolutely gorgeous in the end.  I went out of my way to buy a new video card for my Mac Pro tower just for this game (though in hindsight, a poor idea) and so it ran great.  I'll always appreciate that Blizzard decided to keep the same isometric camera and tried to maintain the overall graphical look while switching from a prerendered platform to a fully 3D one.


       Though I certainly didn't invest as much time into Diablo 3 as I had with Diablo 2 in the past, a lot of that simply had to do with the amount of free time I had in the past.  Now that I've got a new PC, I've been dying to reinstall this and seeing how incredible it will look; I'm sure I'll do that someday soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment