Thursday 18 December 2014

DAY 352 / GAME 352 Virtua Racing

DAY 352 / GAME 352


Virtua Racing

      The wheels may have looked like something out of The Flintstones but at the time, Virtua Racing was better looking than any other racer on the 16-bit Sega Genesis platform.  Originally designed as a tech demo of sorts for future racing platforms, the results were so pleasing that Sega fleshed it out as a full fledged title for both the Sega Genesis as well as a twin-arcade cabinet.

       Virtua Racing was based on F1 style racing, with open wheel cars and Formula One style tracks.  As with future Sega racers like Daytona USA Virtua Racing featured three difficulty levels, each featuring their own circuit.  Beginner, Intermediate and Expert which run on the Big Forest, Bay Bridge and Acropolis tracks respectively.

       Virtua Racing featured fully 3D graphics; which wasn't necessarily a first at the time, but it was definitely one of the most polished fully 3D titles on any platform at the time.  It ended up paving way for essentially every other racing title to follow afterwards, from Gran Turismo to Need for Speed.  The engine even allowed for switching between 4 different VR views.  Views which included your standard in-car view, a behind-the-car view as well as a nose-cam view and a very unique sky-camera view which I've never seen in any game since.  


       I remember playing this quite a bit, but I have no idea where it came from.  I though I owned a copy, but if I did I can't find it now.  There's a chance I may have rented it, or borrowed it from my uncle, but that doesn't seem familiar.  So if I did own it, I wonder where it went.  I also realised I no longer have my copy of The Immortal, so, maybe I lost a few games over the years.  Though I seriously miss The Immortal more than my copy of Virtua Racing.


     Virtua Racing is another one of those games that certainly doesn't look exceptional.  But if you were gaming at the time, it was a glimpse into the future.  Like Doom,  it was one of those games that is historically important.  Even if it's not as exciting to look back on now.

No comments:

Post a Comment