Sunday 28 December 2014

DAY 362 / GAME 362 Panzer Dragoon: Orta

DAY 362 / GAME 362


Panzer Dragoon: Orta

      After the demise of the Dreamcast console, Sega dropped out of the home console business and divided itself up with different focuses on software and arcade hardware.  When this happened, there were no more Sega 'exclusive' titles anymore.  Suddenly you started to see Sonic the Hedgehog showing up on the Nintendo Gamecube of all things.  Soul Calibur on the PlayStation 2 and Panzer Dragoon on the original Microsoft Xbox.


        This latest Panzer Dragoon, Orta, seemed to included a huge jump up in graphical quality, even though the Dreamcast was pretty much the same generation of console as the Xbox.  I keep forgetting that Orta wasn't actually an Xbox 360 game.  Of course, part of this would be because it was one of the few titles that was supported with backward compatibility and so I played this most recently on my 360.


        Though I swear I beat this title, reading up on it now so much of the story seems unfamiliar.  Either the story was told in a manner unclear enough that I don't remember it well, or I simply never beat the game.  There's also a good chance I just really have to pick it up and play it again someday soon.  Perhaps there's a story in there that I just glazed over and somehow missed out on.  
          As interesting as the Panzer Dragoon series always have been, for me it's always been about the incredible design, unique worlds and the simple gracefulness of the rail-shooter mechanics.


        Panzer Dragoon is a series that I always wished got more attention.  Though perhaps that was never a problem, at the very least I wish it were more widely released and certainly continued into current day.  Unless you own a Sega Saturn, I don't think you can opt to play parts 1 and 2.  Panzer Dragoon Saga, the RPG released on the Saturn was impossible to find and went for well over $100 on Ebay for years after it's release.  The series seriously deserves a reboot, and at the very least an HD collection.  Especially one that includes the elusive and highly recommended Panzer Dragoon Saga.

No comments:

Post a Comment