Tuesday 23 December 2014

DAY 357 / GAME 357 Tomb Raider: Legend

DAY 357 / GAME 357


Tomb Raider: Legend

      After Tomb Raider 3, the series really fell of the map for me.  I loved Tomb Raider 1 and 2, but both were really difficult.  Too difficult to complete for me.  But 3 was so difficult I couldn't make it past the second level.  I give up on few games, but I felt dumb for paying full price for this game.  So with that, I pretty much ignored the series as it continued.  Three more games were released, The Last Revelation, Chronicles, and Angel of Darkness, before a major change took place.  Core Design, who handled development switched over to Crystal Dynamics and Tomb Raider: Legend was released.


     I may not have even bothered with this game, but I did hear tell that Crystal Dynamics had taken a new angle with Tomb Raider and essentially rebooted the series.  Since I was trying out every new demo to pop up on the Xbox 360 anyway, I figured I'd give this a shot.  
     Turns out Crystal Dynamics is exactly what the series needed.  The graphics were incredible, the game handled a hundred times better than previously and all the basic game mechanics from shooting to climbing felt revamped.  It didn't take me long to go out and grab a copy of this new Tomb Raider, and like that I was back into the series like it never left.


      Tomb Raider Legend upped the pacing considerably, pushing for more action on top of the already classic puzzle platforming gameplay.  Though I'm not sure this is new, Crystal Dynamics included cutscenes which featured Quicktime Events; which some people despise, but I appreciate at times since it can allow for action sequences that can't normally be incorporated into the game, but you feel a part of rather than just sitting back and watching.


      In general, Legend was a terrific, spectacularly polished revamp of what I considered a dying series.  Bringing back Lara Croft into the small number of powerful female leads and eventually bringing the series into it's current state which includes the most recent 2013 reboot which has received very high praise.

No comments:

Post a Comment