Monday 22 September 2014

DAY 265 / GAME 265 American McGee's Alice

DAY 265 / GAME 265


American McGee's Alice


      I have, from a very young age, been a huge fan of Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland as well as it's many adaptations.  I'm not sure if it was true or not, but I remember specifically while in grade 1 or 2 my mother gave me her old copy of Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass.  I remember having read it, but it seems awful young to be reading that book.  And yet, I know I had because I remember noting the differences between the books and the Disney animated adaptation, which I absolutely adored.  If it was the case, it was certainly the first novel I'd ever read, maybe that's why it's always stuck with me.



     More likely though, the reason Alice stuck with me my entire life was the fantastic world that was presented and the obscure designs that inhabit it.  Everything from Carroll's original sketches, both literary and pencil, to the Disney designs, to the dark and modern viewpoint described by American McGee.  McGee's Alice was the first time I'd seen someone take the Alice property into such a borderline horror genre.  Enjoying both horror and the whimsical Wonderland stories, this was such a fantastic mix for me.


    American McGee's Alice takes place after the events of Through the Looking Glass.  In his own 'fanfiction', Alice's home catches fire at night and she is the lone survivor.  Suffering from extreme survivor's guilt and concerned that the entire thing was her fault she is admitted into an asylum.  During this time she is in a catatonic state and stuck inside a twisted Wonderland where things are falling apart, mirroring her state-of-mind.  Like the sequel, Madness Returns, McGee is sure to include elements of the Carroll stories that tend to be left out of most other fiction.  Alice feels like it has been created by a fan of Lewis Carroll's works, which is probably why I appreciate it so much.


    American McGee's Alice may not be as beautiful and polished as it's sequel, but it was a fantastic start that proved how well the Alice property can be translated into the video game world.  It features incredible designs that are reminiscent of the original Lewis Carroll sketches and deep dark alleys of the Wonderland world.  I've yet to take the time to play much of this one again after playing Madness Returns, but perhaps one day I will try to.




No comments:

Post a Comment