Sunday 14 September 2014

DAY 257 / GAME 257 Killzone 2

DAY 257 / GAME 257


Killzone 2

      I remember being very excited for Killzone 2.  I was really very happy with the first one on the PlayStation 2.  Though I never finished it due to some very poor level design near the end, I wound up wanting more.  Lucky for me, developer Guerrilla learned from their mistakes and polished up the sequel into a completable game.  Not only did they create a new game that was considerably more playable, but they also went so far as creating one of the most beautiful games I've seen on the PlayStation 3. 


     Though I didn't quite buy it at launch, I would have been more than happy if I had.  In fact, the entire Killzone series to date I've purchased late into it's release.  Killzone 1 and 2 were 'greatest hits' by the time I bought them and Killzone 3 and 4 I actually just purchased now.  Killzone 4 I bought for the PlayStation 4 last week and KZ3 is actually still in the mail.
    


     Though Killzone is a beautiful series that really captures this 'future wartime' feel, that's essentially all I get out of it and is the main reason why I typically don't want to pay full price for any of the games.  I find the characters and the story somewhat lacking.  But I especially care very little for the protagonists.  I've heard people complain about Gears of War, that the main characters are just these big meathead grunts with no personality.  And while I tend to disagree with that I feel similarly about Killzone.  Especially with the manner in which Killzone 2 ends, I realized I really dislike the main protagonists and moreover I disagree with their actions.  And yet, this aside, the entire game is so beautiful and exciting to experience, it almost balances out.  Certainly enough that I want to playthrough each of the games because I know I'm going to enjoy them.


    Killzone 2 was also well known for it's online multiplayer which I've heard is quite comparable to Halo and the like.  I've been meaning to try it forever, but I'm typically put-off by the fact that none of my friends also play.  And typically, I don't have much interest in playing against strangers online.

     Either way, Killzone 2 was a thoroughly beautiful experience and I'm currently enjoying Killzone 4 on the PS4 as I type this.  And soon enough, I'll get a chance to see how great Killzone 3 was.

No comments:

Post a Comment