Thursday 4 September 2014

DAY 247 / GAME 247 Split/Second

DAY 247 / GAME 247


Split/Second

      As I write this I'm also playing a fantastically unique racing game from Disney Interactive of all studios as I try out my new TV for the first time.  It's been a long time since I've bought a new TV and it's incredible how much of an improvement 7 or 8 years  of tech and 10 more inches can make.  Nevertheless, even on my "old" Samsung 40" LCD tv, Split/Second was an amazing looking game.  
      Not your typical racing game, Split/Second pushed to create a racing title that was blended with an action movie.  Your racing season is instead a tv season with various episodes that unlock as you make your way through the game.  You compete against other drivers in a vie for first place, but with a twist.  Though not quite a combat racer, Split/Second allows you to trigger environmental disasters as you make your way through the track.  The result is, well, explosive to say the least.

        Triggering disasters ranges from the small to the immense.  As you race, preforming maneuvers such as drafting, drifting or gaining airtime rewards you by filling a 3-part meter.  When the meter is full, you can trigger one large event, three small events, or one medium and one small.  You can only trigger these as you or other drivers are passing by them, but there are plenty to come across so that is not an issue.  Events include small explosions, cranes dropping debris on the track, gate slamming shut or even whole buildings exploding or planes crashing down.  In the end, as you dart around these explosions while trying to push for first, it makes for a very exiting race.


    I'm going to keep this one short, since I've been busy, it's late and to be honest, I want to play more of this game.  Truth is, Split/Second is simply a desirably unique racer that both looks incredible, handles great and is a blast to play.  I remember trying it out for the first time at PAX East's Disney booth and I was hooked.  I believe it's available on Steam for those who are interested in playing it on PC, but also available on the 360 and PS3 for those like me who'd rather the big-screen experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment