Tuesday 2 September 2014

DAY 245 / GAME 245 The Club

DAY 245 / GAME 245


The Club 

      A lesser known title released in 2008 on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360, The Club was a third-person-shooter created by racing-game company Bizarre Creations.  Usually known for their work on the racing series Project Gotham Racing, Bizarre made an ambitious attempt to create a unique hybrid of a racing game, arcade shooter and third person shooter.  


      This is another title that I may not have even bothered with had I not been absolutely engrossed in the downloadable demo that was available on Xbox Live.  I simply ran the demo over and over, which was easy considering the content.  The Club essentially has you running laps about a gauntlet of armed enemies, aiming to reach a specific score before the allotted time runs out.  


      The entire game is fast paced.  Focusing on story about as much as Twisted Metal or Mortal Kombat, The Club really is just the kind of game you can pick up quick in an attempt to beat that next level.   Levels which are at times impossibly difficult.  In fact, I really haven't seen much of this game since, regardless of owning it, I haven't been able to beat most of the levels.  The push to match or beat the required score is extremely tough and requires chaining kills with multiplier targets and all without getting killed.  It's great fun, but it eventually pushed me to simply quit the game.


     The Club was like nothing else out there and surprisingly enough noone ever took the concept and ran with it after Bizarre Creations dissolved in 2011.  Difficulty aside it's a brilliant design that is a ton of fun to play, especially in the attempt to try to best your last score by perfecting your runs throughout the levels.  It was the kind of game I wish I had made more time for and I constantly look at it on my shelf and figure I'm going to try my hand at it once more.

No comments:

Post a Comment