Monday 1 September 2014

DAY 244 / GAME 244 Overlord

DAY 244 / GAME 244


Overlord 

      Overlord was another one of those sneaky titles I had no idea I was going to enjoy quite so much as I did.  I came across it during a time when my Xbox 360 was still quite new and I had a lot more time to play games than I do now.  With a lot fewer unplayed titles on my shelf I spent much more of my time downloading whatever new demos were available via Xbox Live.  The inclusion of a in-console demo downloading system may be one of my favorite developments in console gaming since the ease of the whole try-before-you-buy process means I started purchasing a lot more games I've played to completion in comparison to previous generations of consoles.  


         Overlord is easily one of those titles that I simply wouldn't have thought to purchase had I not tried the demo first.  Shortly after, knowing how much I enjoyed it, a couple friends got together and grabbed this for me as a wedding gift.  Of course, it got a lot more use that some of the other kitchenware I received.  

         Codemasters really did create something unique with Overlord.  The world feels much like that of Fable, set in a similar fantasy time period full of dancing grasses, pumpkins, giant sunflowers, watery cliffs and tons of bloom.  The characters are all twisted and either very ugly or very pretty, which makes for a good balance as your Overlord character is little but a big suit of armor.  Your goblin minions however, are brimming with personality and are extremely fun to watch as you command them this way and that about the world.  


      Of course, Overlord may look like Fable, but really is not the same in any other respect.  In Overlord you are out to perform evil.  Commanding a band of goblins in a very similar manner as Pikmin, you terrorize the countryside and otherwise attempt to take control of the kingdom.  There are few games in my opinion, where being evil is this much fun.


        Overlord is full of fantastic dark humor and terrific writing complimented by some fun animation and incredible characters.  It even saw a few add-ons and a sequel, which incredibly I haven't tried.  Though, I did just grab them on Steam on sale and remembering how wonderfully fun this game was I think I'll have to give it a go very soon.


No comments:

Post a Comment