Tuesday 9 September 2014

DAY 252 / GAME 252 Halo 2

DAY 252 / GAME 252


Halo 2

      With a series as big as Halo, that I've followed through for each and every title, as I did with Silent Hill and Resident Evil I may as well do this as a multi-installment run.  Though I've already discussed Halo 1 and Halo: ODST, I may as well finish it up with Halo 2, 3, Reach, Wars and 4.


        The first Halo game was something special.  Featuring fantastic local multliplayer and some strong FPS gameplay, it ended up being enough of a hit amongst friends that we were all pretty excited for a sequel.  In fact, I hadn't owned a copy of Halo myself until the release of Halo 2 in 2004 at which point I finally broke down and bought an Xbox console (the crystal edition) along with the steelbook limited edition of Halo 2.  


        Not only did Halo 2 push me to buy a whole console, but since it was also the reason I first signed up for Microsoft's paid subscription online service Xbox Live.  Mind you, the only reason I paid for it was because I signed up for the 3 month free trail and forgot to cancel.  For 3 years.  In fact, I signed up because I thought the idea of playing online with all my friends that I normally played locally with would be incredible fun.  But in the end, I never actually used it and instead simply continued to play locally when we all got together.  I never really used the Xbox Live service until I purchased an Xbox 360 years later at which point I used it frequently.  


       Halo 2 really was just a marvel overall.  It featured some of the finest multiplayer maps, some great single player maps and just a really solid feeling game overall.  It was a fantastic move forward that really solidified the series and brought players on board that weren't there previously.  As it stands, Halo 2 was the most played Xbox Live game until the release of Gears of War and it was also the best selling Xbox game of all time.  As with the rest of the series, Halo 2 may not be my absolute favorite game of all time, but I will always have a special place for it.  For it's multiplayer content and the memories that come with it, the well rounded and memorable worlds and though not the best written characters ever, there's a certain attachment to Master Chief and Cortana that both inexplicable and guaranteed.

      I can honestly say that I was at least a little excited to hear that they will be remastering the series with full online support for the new Microsoft console, Xbox One.

No comments:

Post a Comment