Friday 19 September 2014

DAY 262 / GAME 262 Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

DAY 262 / GAME 262


Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow

      Around the same time I grabbed Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory I also purchased the previously released title Pandora Tomorrow.  A few friends of mine were talking about how great the Splinter Cell multiplayer was, but I was confused as to which title they were specifically discussing.  Pandora Tomorrow was released only a year before Chaos Theory and only two years after the first Splinter Cell game, so all three were usually on the shelves together at similar pricing.  In the end, Chaos Theory was the title to have, but I originally picked up Pandora Tomorrow since I had found it dirt cheap and figured I had a 50/50 shot.  







      In the end it was just as well.  Since I only played the single-player campaign for both of them, it was appropriate that I started the story in chronological order.  Not that I remember what the story was at all.  I do enjoy the games and I have no issue with the narratives but they tend to fly over my head at times and I have a hard time recalling which government sector decided to pretend they were another one and launch tactical nukes at some country pretending to be another.  Or whatever.  I appreciate how closely they come to actually military spy activities and other politically driven agendas, but really I play for the unique gameplay that is solid and a story that is serious would pushing corny since they hire some terrific voice actors including Michael Ironside as Sam Fisher.



    Pandora Tomorrow was nowhere near as polished a game as Chaos Theory  but it's big addition to the series was introducing the high-quality unique multiplayer experience that we saw so much of throughout the rest of the games.  Even though I never did play any of it.

    Instead, I simply enjoyed it's extremely polished gameplay that forced you to think about your actions and consider each enemy encounter as a puzzle.  One where you have to figure out how to either sneak past or incapacitate a group of guards or operatives who stand between you and an objective without alerting everyone else in the area.  The tools you carry with you and the skills you have from the beginning more than aid you in your missions and figuring out a puzzle feels like an incredible accomplishment.


   Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow was my least favorite of the series, next to the first one.  But it was still a fantastic game that was incredible to playthrough.  Splinter Cell really never missed when releasing a title, each and everyone really managed to please, at least as far as I'm concerned.

No comments:

Post a Comment