Monday 31 March 2014

DAY 90 / GAME 90 Fallout 3

DAY 90 / GAME 90

Fallout 3


          I never did play either of the first two Fallout games.  They looked pretty cool and I've considered going back and trying them a few times, but my first true Fallout experience was with the first FPS style installment, Fallout 3.  
         A friend of mine, Jesse, picked this up around the time it was first released and was showing it to me on his projector.  I had heard a few people going on about how excited they were for this game and I was expecting quite a bit.  So when I first saw this, I was a little taken back by the somewhat outdated graphics.  It took me a bit to catch on to what was so charming about this game, but it had kicked in right about the time I first saw the V.A.T.S. system in use.  
          Fallout 3 is a pretty unique game.  It's very much a role playing game within an FPS shell.  You have very clear stats and all the numbers are very transparent in the same way your typical RPG appears.  But at the same time it features a lot of great FPS elements and a ton of great exploration elements.  Fallout 3 is a game for people who want to explore, want open ended missions and the option to gibb mutants into a pulp of feet and intestines. 


            There really is a lot of different ways to explore the world of Fallout 3.  You can experience a variety of playthroughs if you're willing to take the time to go through this huge game more than once.  You can be good or evil.  You can pretty much wipe out anyone you come across, or leave everyone alone.   The first town I came across in the post-apocalyptic wasteland was one that worshiped an unexploded bomb.  You can talk your way into a mission where you find yourself with the option to either diffuse, or set off the bomb.  And the whole game goes through like this.  At one point I was trying to free a bunch of child-slaves from a town.  I was trying to be sneaky, but every time I tried it I alerted a guard of some sorts.  So I gave up and nuked the whole town after setting the kids free.  After that I wasn't able to shop there anymore..


              Fallout 3 is full of moments like that.  The game doesn't have one solution.  It changes depending on how you manage to make your way through the situation.  I once beheaded an eccentric millionaire, sending his head flying off the top of a tower overlooking the wasteland.  You can smart, sneak or brute force your way through areas.  No two people's experiences are the same.

              I had a ton of great fun with Fallout 3.  Everything from it's '40s and '50s aesthetics and music, to it's huge explorable landscape and it's variety in mission solutions.  Fallout 3 is the kind of game you play and then come to work the next day to talk about that crazy thing you did and discuss the different ways you each made your way past some obstacle.  Fallout 3's successor Fallout New Vegas has continued with all these good points and is equally enjoyable. And I've been itching like my pants are full of ants for Fallout 4.  Even if it's going to be a while before it's released, considering it hasn't even really been announce yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment