Saturday 29 March 2014

DAY 88 / GAME 88 Donkey Kong Country

DAY 88 / GAME 88

Donkey Kong Country


          The Super Nintendo was probably the one console I undervalued the most at the time.  There are so many amazing titles that I never owned for it, partly because it was my brother's system and so, I didn't really feeling like investing into it too heavily.  Secondly, we got the SNES late into it's release and really only had a Genesis for the longest time.  One of the many games that I had played quite a bit of, but never actually owned was Donkey Kong Country.  

             I remember when this game first came out, I was in a Zellers and I had passed by a display unit that had this on demo.  I stopped right in my tracks.  I hadn't noticed what was on display, but I heard this fantastic music, so I immediately backpedaled.  I really had to know what game this was spouting from because it didn't sound like anything a 16-bit system was capable of.  It was one of the underwater levels and it was fantastic. 


             Donkey Kong Country, like a number of SNES titles, was visually innovative.  RARE created the art assets for the game using 3D renders.  So, everything had the appearance of being rendered 3D on a system that would never be able to produce those kinds of graphics in realtime.
      Even with all that aside, the game was still terrific.  It was a side-scrolling platformer that was full of levels and more than enough challenge for even the most seasoned gamer.  The whole game dripped with personality and charm.  The levels ranged from the jungle, treetops, mines, glaciers, caverns and an industrial oil drilling operation.  You swim, slide, roll along minecart tracks, blast out of barrels and gather all the bananas your apey hands can grab.

              I never did play the other two parts to this SNES trilogy.  Even if I loved this one.  It was a while before I got back into this series.  I had a renewed vigor for the series when Retro Studios picked up the IP and started to release new games for the Wii and especially when they released Donkey Kong Country Returns for the 3DS, possibly the perfect platform for the series since the SNES.  I only wish I had an actual copy still for my Super Nintendo.  Maybe one day they'll bring it back to Wii Virtual Console.

No comments:

Post a Comment