Friday 21 March 2014

DAY 80 / GAME 80 Cool Spot

DAY 80 / GAME 80

Cool Spot


          Cool Spot was way better than it had any right to be.  Developer Virgin Interactive must have decided that advertisement or not, they may as well make a great game out of it.  I remember the tv ads for this game being pretty awesome.  An advertisement for an advertisement, what an odd concept.

          Cool Spot was a super solid platformer.  It featured great animation, slick designs and an award winning soundtrack.  It all makes sense when you look at the team.  Dave Perry?  Earthworm Jim Dave Perry?  MDK and Messiah Dave Perry?  Yes.  Animation by Mike Deitz?  Mike Deitz, whose extensive resume includes Earthworm Jim, the Neverhood, God of War 3 and a ton more including the up and coming Kickstarter project, Armikrog.

            Cool Spot had all these great level designs.  Some of my favourite in a cute platformer.  Levels that are set in a miniature universe always have a certain charm; Katamari, Re-Volt, etc.  You start out at the beach, wandering around among crabs in underwear and make your way about the pier, up to a level full of toys and mice and then make your way back to the beach again.
            I was actually surprised by how easy this game was at the time.  It was rare for me to find a game that I would whip though in a short while, but this one I managed to finish with very little problem whatsoever.  In fact, I found it such a quick playthrough that I ended up trading it to my uncle for one of his games.  I regretted it a small bit, as I always do, but this game really didn't offer much in terms of replayability.  

           'Advergaming' wasn't a one-time thing and Cool Spot wasn't completely unique in that respect.  If you remember, Burger King had those $5 games sold in store.  There was a Pepsi-Man game, a Toyota Yaris game, a series of Cheetos games, a Domino's Pizza game and the list goes on.  But it was definitely the best.  I don't think you could ever get together another team like that one nowadays to produce a gem quite like this.



No comments:

Post a Comment