Monday 3 March 2014

DAY 62 / GAME 62 Resident Evil 2

DAY 62 / GAME 62

Resident Evil 2

           This is another title that I didn't notice until they had made it to a sequel already. The PS1 had started to take off at this point and quite a few successful launch titles had already made sequels by the time we actually got a hold of a PS1 a year or two into it's release.  

            Resident Evil 2 was something special.  It was my introduction into a horror/sci-fi series that is still going strong (in my opinion) and truly brings a real sense of nostalgia.  The game just always felt like it was getting deeper as the mystery unraveled itself, as in most all RE titles.  Part 2 was one of my favorite resident evil games, next to RE:4 and yet, I've never completed this game on my own.  In fact, most of this game I've experienced just from watching my brother play through it.  I've seen pretty much the entire game, since my brother played this game multiple times in order to unlock all the special items.



              Resident Evil 2 featured great music, pre-rendered backgrounds which made for the appearance of fairly detailed levels at the time and two playable characters (not including the unlockable ones) which made for a great deal of replayability.  I remember spending a lot of time in the police station where you start and being amazed that the game kept going once you left that building.  Although it may actually have been a short section of the game, at the time it sure seemed like it took a while to solve all the puzzles and eventually discover access to the mystery below.  I was always happy when the other games took similar paths.  Most other games in the series started you in a small area like a mansion, a small outpost, a remote village and then revealed to you a giant evil laboratory, mysterious ruins, or well, most always a giant evil laboratory.

       Resident Evil 2 featured some of the classic characters we continue to see in the later games and movies and one of my favorite storylines.  It was great to see a remake of Resident Evil 1 along with the release of RE:0 for Gamecube, but deep down I've always just wanted a re-release of this title.  I know it's tough to port to HD and it's nice that they've done the same for Code Veronice and 4, but maybe one day the Capcom well will dry up and they'll put a team together to rebuild 0, 1 and 2.  Because I'm a sucker for HD re-releases.

No comments:

Post a Comment