Saturday 15 March 2014

DAY 74 / GAME 74 Splinter Cell: Double Agent

DAY 74 / GAME 74

Splinter Cell:  Double Agent


          I had played the first Splinter Cell as far as I could on my PC before a weird graphical glitch stopped me from being able to play any further.  After that, I had kinda put aside the series.  I remember hearing from everyone about how great the spies vs mercs multiplayer for Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow and especially Chaos Theory was, so eventually I picked up the both of them dirt cheap for the original Xbox.  I never did play the multiplayer portion of either of them, but I definitely got back into the series.  In fact, they looked so good it temporarily quelled my desire to buy an Xbox 360.  



         But eventually Gears of War was released and I practically ran out the door to buy a 360, and shortly after, Double Agent.  Splinter Cell:  Double Agent was the 4th game in the series, and the first one on an HD console.  It was also the first Splinter Cell game I actually completed.  I put Pandora Tomorrow down when I picked up Chaos Theory before I had finished it and then did the same when I picked up Double Agent.  Double Agent, like the titles before it, was absolutely gorgeous.  It doesn't even need to be, but they really put a lot of work into the engine and it shows.  Levels like the tanker and the Shanghai were particularly outstanding.  



         Of course, this is just half of the game.  With a separate launcher and a believe a separate engine, the multiplayer was a whole different game in and of itself.  With two different modes of player; Spies vs Mercs and a kind of Co-op mission set.  I never really played much of the SvM game, but my friend Jesse and I played a TON of the co-op missions.  The co-op missions were two against a number of others with various goals to complete.  The best part about this, was that the two of us had it in our heads that we were playing against other people.  We were cursing at how good they were, how co-ordinated their plays were and how difficult it was to beat even the first mission.  Eventually it dawned on us that we were actually playing against bots.  All of a sudden it made sense and when it did it was kind of a let down.  It felt like a genuine challenge having to play against such well co-ordinated teams.  Nevertheless, we had some real fun with this.  Maybe even the most of all the online games we've played together in all our years.

         I picked this back up recently after beating the most recent Splinter Cell (Blacklist), when I started to go back through the series again.  It's considerably more difficult than I remember.  Mainly because the older games had more difficult controls.  Absurdly enough, Double Agent, Conviction and Blacklist all have different control schemes; though, I find Blacklist was the best.  So at least it was getting refined.  I'd love to have the chance to try some of the newer games' multiplayer.  Maybe one day.



No comments:

Post a Comment