Thursday 20 March 2014

DAY 79 / GAME 79 Rocky's Boots

DAY 79 / GAME 79

Rocky's Boots


          Back before we had any game console, before we had a proper PC, we had a Commodore 64.  For years we hadn't actually hooked it up.  I have no idea why.  Maybe we were missing some pieces?  So most of the time the only thing it got used for was as a component to whatever couch-cushion spaceship my brother and I were building at the time.  Eventually it got hooked up to our TV.  We got a 5-1/4" floppy drive a Quickshot II joystick and a few games.  

            There were two games, one was a spelling or math game or something that was geared to my brother; the other was for me to play, a logic learning game called Rocky's Boots.  Rocky's Boots was this kinda puzzle game where you worked towards a solution for each level's circuit.  You used IF, AND and OR functions as well as a few other tools that functioned to delay the electricity flow in order to properly 'kick' out select targets.  

          It was great.  For a learning game, it really didn't pander.  Or at least, I don't remember it that way.  Of course this would would be a much more interesting story if I turned out to be a programmer or an electrical engineer or something, but either way, it was still a cool thing to learn.  I was about 8 at the time, so it was certainly more my age range compared to other math and spelling games.  I think the closest thing to a non-learning game at the time was my dad's copy of Chuck Yeager's Flight Simulator, also on the C64, which was pretty much the digital equivalent of staring an aircraft's horizon ball.  Also, he always tricked me so I crashed into the hangar during takeoff.  

            Rocky's Boots may be the first game I ever had in my house.  I'm a little surprised how easy it was to find it on the internet too since all I could remember was that it was the 'raccoon logic game for C64'.  Now if only I could figure out the name of that game we had on the Mac Classics in grade 1.


No comments:

Post a Comment