Friday 28 March 2014

DAY 87 / GAME 87 DiRT

DAY 87 / GAME 87

DiRT


          As a big rally fan and a big racing game fan I was very happy when Codemasters released DiRT for the Xbox 360.  I had played a few good rally games before; Sega Rally, WRC and Gran Turismo 3 had a decent rally portion.  But DIRT was way more polished than any other offroad racer I had played to date.  

       I played the demo a ton and one day a few of us were looking to rent a game for a night so I grabbed this.  Afterwards, since I was the one to return it but still had it for a few days, I played almost halfway through the main campaign.  When I returned it, even though I wanted to purchase the full game afterwards, I didn't feel like spending $60 on a game I had already half completed.  I figured I'd wait a little while for the price to drop and pick it up then.  

        Unfortunately DiRT disappeared off the shelves shortly after.  This coincided with the untimely death of rally legend Colin McRae.  Turns out DiRT was actually Colin McRae Rally 6 and known in the UK as Colin McRae: Dirt and Codemasters had worked very closely over the years with Colin.  I'm not sure if these two things are connected exactly, but it would be a while before I could get a copy.  I would have been just as good to pay full price for it in the end because I played the crap out of that game.  DiRT is possibly my favorite racer of all time.  

            DiRT focuses on 4 wheeled offroad racing.  Primarily rally, featuring Rally, Rallycross, Hillclimb and Crossover; as well as CORR and Rally Raid.  I was never big on Raid or CORR which features buggies and trucks instead of cars, but it was nice to mix it up a bit and the vehicle selection was great.  
          The Rally portion was perfect.  The locations were based on WRC stages and were not only beautiful to look at, but terrific tracks to race.  The pace notes given to you by your co-driver were immaculate.  It got to the point where I could enter a stage blind, having never tried that configuration before and nail every turn based on the accuracy of my co-driver.  

           Of all the racing games out there, DiRT has probably given me the purest, most engaging experience.  I felt the locations, the road and the car.  It's almost blissful when you start flying through perfectly executed turns with little or no traction, narrowly missing trees or cliffsides, listening to nothing but your engine and the sound of the gravel under your tires.  Luckily they made a DiRT 2, which was fantastic.  And then a DiRT 3, which started to move away from what made DiRT 1 & 2 so great.  Codemasters is working on a fourth, I'm really hoping they return to their roots for this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment