Friday 28 February 2014

DAY 59 / GAME 59 Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time

DAY 59 / GAME 59

Prince of Persia: the Sands of Time

           I played the original Prince of Persia once on Super Nintendo.  It was pretty cool but I never did pick up a copy for myself.  Prince of Persia for me started with Sands of Time.  I'm almost definite that I had first heard about this game on Penny Arcade.  And in typical fashion I moved this one to the top of my list to procure.  

            Prince of Persia was one of the most beautiful games I had played on the PS2.  It had a magical air about it that I didn't feel was captured again until it was rebooted for the PS3.  The outdoor levels, especially the ones at night were where this was the most obvious.  The fighting mechanics were smooth and unique.  The common theme of time control was fluid in your battles as you outpace the enemy and use your surroundings to your advantage.  The platforming in this game is what really set it apart though.  Flawlessly executing parkour style moves meant when you got it right, you ran like water from platform to wall to post and up.  It took practice, as you had to time your buttons presses just right.  But when you did the payoff was fantastic.  You found yourself scaling towers, ceilings, rooftops and balconies in the bid to restore the palace from the evil infecting it before it spreads across the landscape.



         Prince of Persia also featured one of my favorite relationships.  The 'Prince' and Princess Farah are an unlikely couple at the start of the game.  The fact that the Prince's father and his army captured her along with the rest of the palace's treasure certainly didn't help matters.  But as the story progresses and the two are forced to work together, they continue to grow closer.  It's with much resistance as the Prince sees Farah as a typical princess and is constantly reminding the player about how 'fed up' he is with her.  The narrative continues and eventually the two of you develop this fantastic bond which I found was mirrored nicely in Prince of Persia for PS3, but sadly missing in Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands.  (The most recent release in the series.)



           I absolutely loved this game.  It's a real wonder why I never bought or played the other two parts of this trilogy; Warrior Within and The Two Thrones.  Though I did hear that Warrior Within was a unsuccessful departure from the first.  The trilogy is available as an HD collection, I may have to try it someday.  Even if just to replay the first.  
             Also for note:  A fourth 3D title was released for PS3 simply titled Prince of Persia, but known as Prince of Persia 2008 and Prince of Persia PS3.  This one is both unique from the trilogy and fantastic on it's own.  And a fun fact, Stuart Chatwood of the Tea Party composed the soundtrack for the original Trilogy.  Go Canada.

No comments:

Post a Comment