Tuesday 4 February 2014

DAY 35 / GAME 35 The Immortal

DAY 35 / GAME 35

The Immortal

Maybe the best cover art ever.
SO METAL
           I've been waking up from a lot of nightmares lately.  So I figured I'd bring up another horror game, this time one from my Sega Genesis collection.  The Immortal; the game that advertised on the back "over 30 fully animated deaths".  This is another Sega title that I had only discovered because I had played it at my uncle's place, but right after I had ran out to buy it as soon as a child age 12 possibly could.

              I remember reading the back of the box on the drive home after buying this for Toys R Us.  I also remember that was pretty much the place to buy games.  The one I went to had this one big aisle with pretty much every game imaginable.  I think you had to take a card to the cashier to pick up the game itself.  Unless I'm confusing it with Consumers Distributing, the other great place to get games at the time.



              The Immortal was hard.  Like, really hard.  The only way I ended up seeing all the great levels in this game was by entering the level codes I had found in a gaming magazine one day.  You couldn't go through the game in one run first try.  The whole game was littered with traps, right from the first room where a giant worm eats you for even turning the game on.  The whole game was like this.  There were enemies to fight, but your biggest worry was learning where all the traps were and avoiding them or risk instant death.  Fighting enemies was tough too.  An encounter opened a separate screen where you fought by dodging until the other guy gets tired, then slicing him with your dagger.  You couldn't kill guys in one hit 'cause I guess you were a wizard or something.  A wizard with no spells..


               Like I said, the game featured thirty different animated deaths.  Which is bonus because you died so often it killed the monotony.  But seriously, it was awesome.  It was graphic, gory, but of course also low res so you could only see so much while imagining the rest.  I also have a feeling that if I was older when I first played this game I may have appreciated it more.  This was far too hard for me at the time and while I enjoyed it, now I would really appreciate the smart difficulty of it all.  In fact, I think I could probably whip through it pretty quick now and I'll bet it'd be even easier on an emulator, what with save-states and all.  I'll definitely have to play this tonight.  




I have no idea who Will Harvey is.

No comments:

Post a Comment