Sunday 23 February 2014

DAY 54 / GAME 54 Re-Volt

DAY 54 / GAME 54

Re-Volt


           I can't remember how I got a hold of a copy of this game, all I remember is that I played a TON of it.  Back in college, when I lived in a dorm room most of my gaming was done on my PC.  Now, I've never been a big fan of racing using a keyboard.  But really, that's how it was always the way I had to do it in the past.  Until I got a Dreamcast I hadn't really started to ignore racers on the PC.  Re-Volt was the last of those racers.  

           Re-Volt, as the title suggests, is a RC car race game.  Which is always tons of fun as all the tracks are based on scaled up real life locations.  Places like the supermarket, the suburban streets, alleyways, construction sites and I think there was a museum.  The controls were ridiculous.  It was very easy to spin out and kinda hard to control.  At first this really bothered me.  But eventually I really mastered the quirky style and when I did I realised that it was more than likely done on purpose to keep the feel of real RC car racing.  Which is no doubt very difficult and similarly hard to control.  


         I played this game a ton.  It was super fun and just difficult enough that you really had to keep at it if you wanted to master the tracks.  And you could if you gave it enough time.  The other fun thing about this game was that it played whatever audio disc happened to be loaded into your cd-rom drive at the time.   And at the time, I had one of the James Bond soundtracks sitting in my drive.  Which was perfect, because it was full of car chase music and nothing is better than racing an arcade style racer like this to car chase music.   

No comments:

Post a Comment