Saturday 15 February 2014

DAY 46 / GAME 46 Michael Jackson's Moonwalker

DAY 46 / GAME 46

Michael Jackson's Moonwalker


           If someone made a game like this nowadays I'd probably toss it in the garbage.  

     But seriously; I mean, if they managed to make an action game based on Justin Timberlake I doubt I'd give it the time of day.  When Moonwalker came out though, it was unique, inventive and exciting.  Or at least, my 10 year old self figured as much.  

      Now, at the time I actually quite enjoyed Michael Jackson.  I remember having watched Thriller and other music videos.  We had a vinyl of his I'm sure.  So this wasn't unfamiliar territory when I first saw the game.  A game that, yes, you guessed it, my uncle brought over one day for us to try out.  

        I had never seen the Moonwalker movie.  But this game had everything.  I mean, there was a monkey, you danced, there was zombies, you turned into some kind of robot or flying car or something in the end; it was very over the top.  But I thought it was just amazing.  At least half of it was the music though.  The Genesis did a great job of emulating a whole bunch of Michael Jackson tracks for this game.  It set this great mood for the game and when you performed dance move attacks the whole thing felt like a 16-bit music video.  




         In the end though, I can't really imagine a game like this ever being made again.  I could see people like Justin Bieber wanting this kind of immortalization.  But this really was a product of it's time and only an insane madman would try to see this through production.  Actually, I take it back.  If Justin Timberlake wanted to make a 16-bit action dance game with zombies and robot cars my interest would definitely be piqued.





(I know I shouldn't have used two Justins in this writeup, but it was just what was in my head.)

No comments:

Post a Comment