Tuesday 11 February 2014

DAY 42 / GAME 42 Super Mario Kart

DAY 42 / GAME 42


Super Mario Kart

            How have I put off one of the finest local multiplayer games ever?  Until Denise reminded me just now, I had almost forgotten about it.  Which seems odd because Super Mario Kart is a staple in my regular gaming rotation.  I mean, this game has seen action regularly since it was first purchased.  And when I say this I mean specifically the very same cartridge from the 90s.  



          Super Mario Kart uses Nintendo's Mode 7 graphics tech to create the kind of solid racer that you rarely see on 16-bit systems.  The same graphics tech I mentioned earlier that was responsible for F-Zero, only this time it's a little tamer of a racer.  Tamer in terms of speed, but not fun.  Mario Kart was built to be a multiplayer game and a great one at that.  I've spent weekends playing this with my brother and my cousin when we were kids and spend years playing this game regularly with my wife, Denise.  (Who has been known to kick my butt on occasion.)  


          Mario Kart is just this really solid title.  It takes a ton of great elements from everyone's favorite Super Mario Brothers titles, including music, level design and character selection.  It places them all in a perfectly thought out, well controlled title that you can just pick up and a play over and over again; as it's so proven of itself over a period of almost 20 years.  Even with all the other newer titles, (some of which are very, very good) this one is still my favorite and I highly recommend it.  As I tend to, of all 365 games.

No comments:

Post a Comment