Sunday 9 February 2014

DAY 40 / GAME 40 Chrono Trigger

DAY 40 / GAME 40

Chrono Trigger

           Chrono Trigger is another one of those games that I really missed out on back on the Super Nintendo.  Turns out it's a favourite for a lot of SNES owners.  I never did get a copy when it was first out for a couple reasons.  First off, I had never heard of it at the time.  Secondly, even if I had heard of it, I wasn't at all interested in RPGs at the time, especially JRPGs.  (Japanese RPGs, which tend to be more difficult, more complicated and more obscure.)



             So, very recently, I was talking to a friend of mine at work, Peter, about how I had tried the demo for SquareSoft's new game Bravely Default.  Which I was actually very happy with.  I found this surprising because I always try to get into JPRGs but it never really works out for me.  So Pete told me I'd probably like Chrono Trigger and promptly lent me his copy that was rereleased for the Nintendo DS handheld, which he happened to have with him at the time.  He had it with him, because he played it regularly, even if he's already played it a ton since it came out.  


Like a lot of games on the SNES, Chrono Trigger took advantage
 of the Mode 7 graphics for scenes like this.

               So I loaded it up and at first it felt like your typical JRPG. Or at least, from what I know of them.  With no real introduction, you wake up in your bed at your parent's house and go to the fair.  You meet some girl and then promptly end up travelling through time to save her from being sucked into the middle ages.  Of course.  But all of that fell away as I shortly became engrossed in one of the finest RPGs I've ever played.  Chrono Trigger is easy to get into for a non-rpg player.  With no real tutorials or manual (that I had on me) I was surprised I never did get stuck at all.  In fact, I'm writing this now as I had just beat the game after about 20 odd hours put into it.  



               I was impressed.  Lately I've been playing Super Nintendo games for the first time that I hadn't played when the first came out.  Games like Link to the Past and Super Metroid.  I always assumed that I would never enjoy them much.  A lot of times, playing older games is only enjoyable if you've already played when they first came out.  Quite often games are playable because at the time every game had a standard for controls and rules and so playing decades later can mean some frustration.  But with Chrono Trigger, I had a hard time putting this one down.  

                  I really loved this game and I'm very happy that I made the time to play it. Going back and enjoying old games like this proves to myself that it's possible for games to be properly timeless.  I've mentioned timelessness before here, but I'm usually talking about playing games I've enjoyed in the past.  But properly enjoying a game without the 'nostalgia glasses' really speaks wonders about the quality of that game.

No comments:

Post a Comment