Tuesday 18 February 2014

DAY 49 / GAME 49 Enslaved: Odyssey to the West

DAY 49 / GAME 49

Enslaved:  Odyssey to the West


           Enslaved was one of those games I remember seeing incredible pre-release screen shots for, drooled over them and then never heard anything about the game ever again. 


           I found it one day cheap, not too shortly after it's initial release.  I'm guessing it didn't do too well so far as sales go and I'm certain it was due to the lack of marketing.  Enslaved was one of those 'top most amazing games you've never heard of' games.  From it's exterior, it's a basic post-apocalyptic third-person action/adventure title.  But at heart, Enslaved contains some of the finest characters backed up by some of the best voice and facial acting.



           It takes a little bit to kick in, like most stories.  But the relationship between Monkey and Trip quickly becomes very tangible and the shallow looking brute and princess become two very likable characters.  And when Pigsy shows up, Ninja Theory shows you what they are really capable of.  Imperfect characters are always the most interesting; especially those who are both physically and emotionally imperfect.  And Pigsy, the overweight pig of a man whose most recent goal in life is to build himself the perfect girl; is the kind of great character I want to see more and more of in the games I play.  

              On top of it all, Enslaved featured some of the best facial animation and acting I've ever seen in a game.  They stylized the character designs just enough so that they don't look out of place in the gorgeous detailed world, but lend well to proper over-expression and easy readability. 

              I absolutely loved this game.  And although I do recommend it, especially for the price you can find it at now, I can't guarantee everyone would love it.  Because this is the kind of game where the story and characters are so great that I tend to completely overlook other flaws.  But I totally don't remember any in Enslaved.  So play it!

No comments:

Post a Comment