Monday 7 April 2014

DAY 97 / GAME 97 Bust-A-Move

DAY 97 / GAME 97

Bust-A-Move


          Puzzle games may not bind with me the same way games with a narrative do, but I've definitely enjoyed a great number of them over time.  The ones that stick with me the most of course are the ones I've enjoyed with other people.  Bust-A-Move is one I've enjoyed over the years in many variations with many friends.  Bust-A-Move has been around 20 years now and like Tetris, has been re-released many times with slight variations on a multitude of platforms, some better than others.


           My personal favorite iterations of Bust-A-Move were Bust-A-Move 4 for Dreamcast, and Super Bust-A-Move for Playstation 2.  Denise and I have played hours upon hours of this amazing puzzle game.  Puzzle games are always great multiplayer for me as well since I'm not exceptionally good at them, so the competition is a little more level.
          In Bust-A-Move you control a little arrow, driven by various characters and shoot different coloured bubbles filled with varied shapes and symbols.  You match three or more of the same and they disappear.  It's gravity based, so if you manage to clear bubbles on a top row and subsequently cut off a lower row, they fall down clear of the board.  The little symbols are handy for people like me who are colour-blind and have a hard time telling some of the bubbles apart.  Albeit at times the little shaped aren't enough and I still mess up a quick move.

          Bust-A-Move, known as Puzzle Bobble in Japan is actually a spin off of a much older Taito arcade platformer called Bubble Bobble which features the same two lizard characters.  It also had it's origins in the arcade and I tend to bump into it quite a bit and anytime I do I make sure to pop in a few quarters.  This is definitely one of my favorite puzzle games.  It's well rounded, works for the colourblind, (Albeit, not perfectly.) and is a terrific multiplayer game.  Good puzzle games root themselves into history and tend to last forever.  There will always be a Tetris, there will always be a match-3 game like Bejewelled and there will always be Bust-A-Move.

No comments:

Post a Comment