Sunday 13 April 2014

DAY 103 / GAME 103 Super Mario World

DAY 103 / GAME 103

Super Mario World


          When the Super Nintendo was released, there were only a few titles available to start with.  But most of those titles were really strong and really carried the system launch.  I remember the brochure that some of the kids had in the schoolyard (I was in grade 5 at the time.) and it basically revolved around F-Zero, Pilotwings, Gradius, SimCity and most of all Super Mario World.
          Super Mario World probably carried the sales of the SNES until Link to the Past was released a couple years later.  And it wasn't even just a great 16-bit title, it may be the the best Super Mario game ever released.  

            That's not even a sentiment shared only with myself, I'm fairly certain most people would agree with me on.  As a game whose roots remain in a 2D sidescroller, this is the last one Nintendo would make in this style up until the recent release of Super Mario Wii, which never quite recaptured the perfection of Super Mario World.  
           This game was huge.  With almost a hundred levels in total, I've never beat it and I've never seen a lot of the extra hidden levels.  Part of the reasons being, I never actually owned a copy myself for the longest time.  Even though my brother eventually got an SNES back when we were kids, this is one game we never bought.  Then, when Super Mario All-Stars was released which included updated versions of Super Mario 1-3 and Super Mario World, I really should have grabbed a copy, but instead we borrowed it here and there off those people who did buy it and put it off until it was no longer available.  Nintendo even recently re-released Super Mario All-Stars for the Wii, but they didn't include Super Mario World.  So I finally broke down and bought it for the Wii Virtual Console.  

             So since then, I put a whole lot more hours into this game.  But I got stuck again.  I love this game and I love that there are so many hidden levels and little extras, but I only wish I had managed to see some of them.  It feels like one of those games that you would have had to have played it back when you were a kid to have spent the time discovering all the little tricks it had to offer.

             Still, it was great.  For the first time, Yoshi was introduced.   This really added an extra element to the sidescrolling platformer that no one had seen before and wouldn't see again for a while, if ever.  Of course, it wasn't even just a platforming element, Yoshi was this great new character that became as important in the Mario series as Toad or the Princess really.  On top of Yoshi they also really expanded on Bowser's character, giving him a ton more emotion and a added the element of all his kids who you have to defeat on your way to the final castle.  This made each of the castle levels much more interesting as each of bowser's kids had a different personality and the level reflected that.  On top of this there's also the addition of the ghost house levels, another staple Mario element I had to think twice about to be sure it wasn't in any of the earlier games.

             Heck, I could go on about Super Mario World forever.  There are so many fantastic Mario elements that started here.  I'd love to see them clean this up for HD just a little bit.  But I'm more than happy playing this with the copy that I have on the Wii-U, forever and ever.


No comments:

Post a Comment