Wednesday 2 April 2014

DAY 92 / GAME 92 Extreme G 3

DAY 92 / GAME 92

Extreme G 3


          Almost every console for me has that one game.  The game that retired any rational thought and instead replaced it with a carnal need to drop everything, run out the door and swaps wads of cash for the game system you told yourself you didn't need to buy.  I the case of the Nintendo GameCube, it was Acclaim's future bike racer Extreme G III.

           I remember seeing this game one year around Christmastime when a friend of mine had brought over his GameCube to a party and we were trying out all the games he had grabbed for it so far.  Of all the games he had, XG3 was the one above the rest that I knew I had to have.  It was gorgeous, responsive, fast and sounded fantastic.

           Extreme G 3 was right alongside Wipeout as far as I'm concerned when it comes to future-racers.  If they kept going with this series, I'd still be buying.  Everything about it was so polished.  The A.I. were functional and fair, controls were tight and it had just the right amount of learning curve.  Like Wipeout, the game is divided into speed classes, which in turn increases the game's difficulty.  Eventually the top classes have you powering through these tracks mainly on memory because your reaction time can't possibly be quick enough to make it through without having spent some real time on each track.


           Speaking of polish, the graphics on this game were top-notch.  Considering it's one of the first game released on a 6th generation system, resolution aside it can still compete heavily with the (barely) current 7th gen systems.  It looks absolutely fantastic.  Futuristic cities sprawl in the distance as you power your way along expansive tracks that ignore gravity, sending the horizon into twists and spins.  Light trails follow your bike, snow and rain pepper your screen and a wide array of offensive and defensive weaponry explode around you.  

           And of course, the whole package is completed by incredible audio.  Not only did Extreme G 3 feature an amazing lineup of electronic tracks, but the sound FX were rock solid.  I remember playing this on my one friend's (Jamie) parent's home theater system with the bass up.  XG3 has an amazing clear set of SFX that really sell the idea that you are on a sci-fi bike that can break the sound barrier.  Which happens.  And when it does, there's a little boom and for as long as you can keep up that speed, all the audio is little but a hush.  It's an incredible effect.

         Extreme G 3 is the first game I ever bought for my GameCube.  I can't believe I paid $80 for it.  But it was definitely worth it.  Years from now, this will probably still be the one game I boot up that system for.  Even if they do finally make a sequel for this game, I have a feeling they will never duplicate the charm of this one.



No comments:

Post a Comment