Saturday 12 April 2014

DAY 102 / GAME 102 Medal of Honor: Airborne

DAY 102 / GAME 102

Medal of Honor: Airborne


          Back when I first got my Xbox 360 I downloaded pretty much every demo as they appeared on the marketplace.  The demo for Medal of Honor Airborne was actually quite long.  It was comprised of an entire level out of the final game and I spend quite a bit of time playing this demo before I actually managed to beat it.  As much as I enjoyed it though, it was a while before I had actually picked up a copy of the full version.  Then one day Blockbuster was having a buy 2 get one free sale on use games and I ended up buying this and two other games for $15.

              Medal of Honor: Airborne is the eleventh installment in the Medal of Honor series.  Mind you, I've never played any of the older game and none of the newer ones either.  In fact, I think this may be one of the only World War 2 games I've ever played.  But I did manage to play the crap out of this title.  It featured a few unique elements that made it such a strong first-person-shooter.  First off, since the game revolved around the US 82nd Airborne Division, each level starts off with you parachuting into your location.  In fact, everytime you die, you start the level off again with an airdrop.  The bonus with this is that you can actually control where in the level you start, allowing for a bit of strategy in that respect.  


             Medal of Honor: Airborne also had this really fantastic aiming system.  During time when you needed to take a more accurate shot, like most games, you are given the opportunity to look down the sights.  But with this game, it's incorporated nicely into the trigger-style design of the xbox 360 controller.  Pulling back the trigger slowly brings the gun center-screen, the closer you bring the trigger to it's sweet-spot the steadier the sights are.  So sniping out troops means holding the trigger at just the right about of pressure until the timing is right to fire.  


             Airborne was a pretty difficult game.  But like Rainbow Six Vegas, for me a lot of it wasn't annoyingly difficult because I knew if I failed it was because my strategy was bad.  Difficult or not though I really enjoyed it.  In fact, considering how much I liked it, I'm surprised I didn't bother going back and trying some other games in the series, or even try other WW2 games.  I guess for the most part this was one felt so polished trying anything else just wouldn't have stacked up.

No comments:

Post a Comment