Sunday 26 October 2014

DAY 299 / GAME 299 Fantasia

DAY 299 / GAME 299


Fantasia

      I've wrote about this here before, that is that the number one genre of game I purchased for the Sega Genesis would be side-scrolling platformers based off of cartoon properties.  Tiny Toons, Tazmania, Castle of Illusion, Quackshot, Ren and Stimpy, Aladdin, Mickey Mania, to name a few.  Back when the Genesis was still new and most of the game I was buying were from the back of a poster, the kind you'd get inside a new game, there weren't as many cartoon games to choose from.  After how great Mickey Mouse and the Castle of Illusion was, I figured Fantasia would be a sure hit.  Especially since I was a nut for the film at the time.  

    My uncle warned me that this game had horrid controls and simply wasn't very good overall.  Trouble is I really wanted this to be a good game.  I bought it regardless and although he was certainly right about everything he said, I still enjoyed it quite a bit.  Looking back now, this really was a disappointment of a game.  I can't say much of anything good about it and I'm surprised I wasn't all out pissed when I bought it.  But like I said, there weren't many cartoon games at the time (thought they sure showed up afterwards).  

     Fantasia really was an awkward movie to make into a game.  I'm not sure who decided it was a good idea in the first place.  If only they were able to bring a little bit more out of the movie.  The game has very little to do with the film and really just feels like your standard side-scroller with terrible sluggish controls.  The music, though neat to hear at the time, was a very very terrible conversion from classical pieces into 16-bit chip-tunes.  It sounded like your microwave was playing Toccata and Fugue in D minor.


   All this and yet this game sticks with me as one of those great games from my childhood.  Of course, I'm sure a lot of this has to do with the fact that when I was 11, I only had a handful of games.  I can't even imagine what it would be like to be 11 years old now with the backlog of old titles available to play.  Those kids don't know how good they have it!  

    

No comments:

Post a Comment