Sunday 19 October 2014

DAY 292 / GAME 292 Alien vs Predator 2

DAY 292 / GAME 292


Aliens vs Predator 2


      While in the Alien mindset, I may as well bring up one other Alien title I had enjoyed in the past.  Perhaps the only other one I haven't mentioned yet, Aliens vs Predator 2.  Aliens vs Predator was a comic-book series that expanded on the Alien universe, connecting it to the Predator series based on one small Easter Egg in Predator 2 where we see a Xenomorph skull amongst the other trophies in the Predator's ship.  The concept is that in a universe that contains the brutal Alien, also contains another species who hunts monsters like that for fun.  
        The Aliens vs Predator series is quite expansive.  The comic series has been running since the early 90's and spawned two movies as well as a number of video games.  The first FPS Aliens vs Predator title was well known for it's unique and popular online multiplayer as well as being a generally well translated game for it's content.  

       Though I never did play the first game, when the sequel was released I figured it was time I finally gave it a try.  Now, I can't say whether or not AvP 2 was better than AvP 1, since I hadn't really played the first and having never tried AvP's multiplayer I can't say that it was really good or bad.  But I was very happy overall with the bulk of the game's
single player campaign.  I say the bulk of it because there are essentially 3 different campaigns to complete.  There is practically a separate game for both the Alien and Predator as well as one for the Human Marines.
  Though I tried out all three campaigns, I took to the Marine one the most.  It's the only one of the three that I actually completed.  Though they each were properly unique and the Alien one was particularly inventive, the Marine campaign was by far the easiest.  Simply running and gunning through an FPS game is always the easiest solution.  Not to mention, the Marine portion of AvP 2 held true to a lot of the James Cameron Aliens tropes which we all know and love as one of the best sci-fi action horror movies.  You make full use of the classic Aliens weapons and tools like the motion tracker.  You get separated from your troop and wandering all alone through an abandoned colony has it's scary moments for sure.

      The Alien campaign finds you crawling the walls, hunting humans and causing disaster among the enemy from the moment you first burst out a ribcage and wriggle away as an Alien Chestburster.  It's super fun and a great chance to play as the unstoppable Alien, but it's also difficult since everyone else has ranged weapons and you have to get close to do any damage.  The Predator however is useful at both close and ranged combat.  Still, something about the campaign stopped me from finishing it.  I'm not sure what it was exactly but I do remember it being somewhat dull compared to the other two stories.

   As I remember it, Aliens vs Predator 2 did a pretty great job of capturing the best of the content it was based off of.  Though it never stuck with me as being a particularly memorable game, it did have some great moments.  And considering the lack of quality Aliens games out there, this one is starting to stand out more and more over the years in my mind.  I really should dig this up and install it sometime, just to see if I can finish the other two campaigns.

No comments:

Post a Comment