Wednesday 15 October 2014

DAY 288 / GAME 288 Test Drive 6

DAY 288 / GAME 288


Test Drive 6

      I bought games left and right for my Dreamcast when I first got it.  Maybe due to it's lack or popularity, games for the system were always dirt cheap, even when they were fairly new.  On top of this I tended to grab them used from EB Games to save an extra dime or two, I was in college at the time after all.  
      I was really happy with most all the different racing games that were released on the Dreamcast, so I ended up buying quite a few.  I believe I ended up with about 6 or 7 different titles, which I feel is quite a bit.  Comparatively, I own about 8 different racer titles for the Xbox 360; a system that was current for a longer amount of time, during a time when I had a much larger income.  

     One of the titles I bought and had a lot of fun playing was Test Drive 6.  I was already a fan of the previous DOS based Test Drive games and figured this was a sure hit.  Though one of the most 'loose' race titles I had purchased at the time, TD6 had a very arcade feel to it.  Controls were slack as were the physics, but it meant you could slide around corners with ease and get air off most any crest in a course.  It also meant the differentce between the starter cars and the higher end cars could be drastic, since they weren't really bound to any real-world numbers.  I remember I had the most fun with one of the over-the-top muscle cars that were available, where opening the throttle fully off the line could easily start you into a donut.

   Graphically Test Drive 6 was not pushing the Dreamcast's full capabilities.  The cars looked like they had a shiny skin on them and the landscapes were lacking detail, but it felt like developer Pitbull Syndicate made up for this with decent framerates and some great sense of speed.
  TD6 was also great as it was a very arcade-y title, but also featured a range of real-world cars.  There's nothing better than over-the-top physics and speed with cars that you'd never see performing those kinds of powerslides and leaps.  


    Though this may not be the best game on my Dreamcast, it was a solid title as far as I was concerned.  I played it like crazy as it was so simple to pick up and play without any concern as to where you were within the game's completion.  I never did play any other Test Drive title after this game, I always felt as if after this, the series fell to the back of the pack.  Maybe they're do for a comeback.

No comments:

Post a Comment