Monday 6 October 2014

DAY 279 / GAME 279 Arcus Odyssey

DAY 279 / GAME 279


Arcus Odyssey


      At least half of the games I've played on the Sega Genesis were titles I had either borrowed from my uncle, or had played at his place.  (Since he had a modified console that would play Japanese imports.)  With that in mind, there were also a lot of titles that I've played in the past that I've had a hard time finding again outside of simply downloading copies to play within an software emulator.  

    Arcus Odyssey was one of these titles that I would have never known about had it not been sitting on my uncle's shelf.  I wasn't particularly drawn in by the story and I've never actually finished the game, but the overall presentation and the fantastic soundtrack really stuck with me.


   Arcus Odyssey was somewhat of a brawler RPG mix.  Featuring very little RPG elements, it felt more like what Fable 2 feels like now.  Your character advances the more you fight your way through the dungeons, but you have little choice as to how your character advances.  Instead you choose initially from four different characters, each with a different class; a Mage, Archer, Warrior and a Swordsman.  
     Combat wasn't overly complicated, as I remember it though the overall game was quite difficult.  Each class fought quite differently and as a bonus, at least on the Sega version, two players could co-op simultaneously, making the whole thing a little easier and a lot more fun.

   Arcus Odyssey highest point for me though was both the art and the audio.  It featured some fantastic character designs and elements like the overworld map and introductory sequence; bits and pieces that we saw more and more of on the 16-bit systems.  It was also a great example of the amazing music that game from the chipset in the Sega Genesis, alongside titles like Golden Axe, The Immortal and Sonic.  Not only was the music great, but there was something about the sound effects that were used, though not that great, always stuck with me.  In fact, I'd love to see a new 'retro' title built using all the old resources for audio.

    Game like this make me wish there was a better push out there for archiving old title like this for current sale.  At the very least, it would be great if there was a public 'game library' you could visit.  Or I guess I could just find a proper emulator and the rom for this game.  I'd much rather be playing this on my old Genesis though.

No comments:

Post a Comment